Friday 8 November 2013

I am British, I don't want to lose my nationality

TRUE
 
Claim:
Scottish independence will end British nationality. The flag of Scotland will no longer be the Union Jack, and England and Wales will be a foreign country.
 
Facts:
If your primary identity is British, there is no doubt that Scottish independence will weaken the concrete manifestations of that identity. And if that that doesn't suit you, I respect that. I won't dictate something as personal as national identity to you. 
 
But consider this. If I can be Scottish and British in the current United Kingdom, can you not be British and Scottish in an independent Scotland? Will Britain not retain an overarching identity, the way Norway, Denmark and Sweden are collectively called Scandinavia? Worth thinking about, anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment